Olive Oil Cake with Fresh Berries
By Beth Sogaard
July 7, 2017
This deliciously simple, savory cake is sweetened by fresh seasonal berries (whipped cream optional!)
- Yields: 8 servings
4 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp minced fresh rosemary
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp table salt
2 cups mixed berries
2 tbsp honey
11. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Spray a bread loaf pan with cooking oil.
22. Whip the eggs in an electric mixer on medium speed for 30-45 seconds. Add the sugar and continue to beat until bubbly and lightened. With the mixer running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Add the rosemary and mix just to blend.
33. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Turn the mixer on low and then slowly add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture. Scrape the batter out into the prepared loaf pan.
44. Bake in the 325 degree oven for 40-50 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a skewer comes out clean from the center. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then tip out onto a rack to cool.
55. Thirty minutes before serving the cake, toss the berries with the 2 tablespoons honey. Slice the cake and serve with the berries spooned over.
Olive oil and a touch of rosemary make this deliciously good. If you already have the grill going, mark the loaf slices briefly before serving for a more elegant presentation.